I get so many questions about low carb diets, the need for grains, etc etc, and I’m finally going to explain why CARBS ARE IMPORTANT AND WHOLE GRAINS ARE ESSENTIAL. :)
"The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends that at least half of all the grains you eat are whole grains.” (1)
~ Because ‘whole grain’ means it has the bran and the germ, which are both amazing fiber sources and great sources of certain vitamins, such as potassium.
Refined grains have the germ and bran taken out so the texture is smoother and more fine. Enriched grains means that there are extra/other nutrients added in to the grain that aren’t naturally included in the grain. They could be whole or without the bran and germ.
So, what are the benefits?
- Contain vitamins, including but not limited to: Vitamin A, E, and and B6
- Also contain minerals, including but not limited to: Potassium, selenium, zinc, copper, and iron.
- Higher in fiber, which keeps you full longer and aids the digestive system
- Help reduce blood cholesterol
- Aid the immune system in fighting diseases
- Helps in gastrointestinal and bowel health
Grains have different benefits then most proteins, dairy, or veggies/fruits, so it’s important to include them in your diet.
And they taste good with steak.
3 years ago
- alliegetsfit likes this
- californiarun reblogged this from itsrainingtea
- fitin40days reblogged this from itsrainingtea
- itsrainingtea reblogged this from missnutrition
- way-0f-life reblogged this from missnutrition
- waycoolhacky likes this
- ahealthyheartandsoul likes this
- tiger-training likes this
- sunshineandraisins likes this
- bieberbitme likes this
- sarahrue likes this
- iwannabreatheagain reblogged this from hexaneandheels
- livinfitlife reblogged this from hexaneandheels
- jessicadangster likes this
- fanofchocolate likes this
- hexaneandheels reblogged this from missnutrition
- blastingbuzzers likes this
- fromgymtoslim likes this
- 123runner reblogged this from missnutrition
- leashamariel reblogged this from missnutrition
- batcult likes this
- missnutrition posted this